Coconut is my favorite thing in summer time. From the water, to the oil, to the sweet meat of a ripe coconut, I love everything this fruit has to offer. It is versatile in it’s applications and tastes, and works oh so well for easing summer heat. Here are some ways to use coconut this summer to help beat the heat. Enjoy!
- Drink Coconut Water. Available in most grocery stores in the natural foods section, this refreshing drink is best served chilled. It is super hydrating and has more potassium than a banana.
- Use Coconut Milk. Here is a yummy Pineapple Coconut Smoothie recipe, and some reasons why coconut milk is good for you.
- Eat Coconut Fruit. Whether it is dried or fresh, coconut fruit is tasty and delicious, not to mention very nutritious for you. It contains lauric acid, which the body uses for energy, it has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal qualities, it improves thyroid function, which can boost your metabolism, and it’s a great source of dietary fiber. Way to go coco!
- Cook with Coconut Oil. Coconut oil is a staple in many Polynesian countries for cooking as well as beauty care. The people of these countries experience great health and freedom from diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Heart Disease. Much research is underway examining this relationship between coconut oil and health.Using coconut oil to cook with is very easy because the oil heats up fast. It provides subtle, nutty flavors to any dish. The saturated fats in coconut oil (lauric and stearic acid) act differently from most saturated fats in that they do not appear to raise the risk of cardiovascular disease. For more health benefits of coconut oil click here.
- Apply Coconut Oil to Skin and Hair. Coconut oil moisturizes and provides nutrition to the epidermis, or skin, our largest organ system. When stored in a cool, dry place coconut oil becomes a solid. It is very easy to scoop a bit of oil out into your hands, let it melt, and massage the skin or scalp with soothing, soft strokes. The oil is light and absorbs into the skin quickly, making it safe to use before getting dressed. It also provides a lovely light fragrance.
- Cool Down Massage with Coconut: A fun way to cool down in the summer, and give your body a little treat is to freeze some coconut oil into cubes. Before taking a shower on a very hot day, use the frozen coconut oil cubes to massage your body gently. The cubes will melt on contact with your skin. You can also place the cubes on top of your head while you take a relaxing bath. Kids will love this treat as well!
Enjoy these Coconut cool down tips. Be kind to yourself this summer. And come in soon for a Massage with my new yummy Coconut Vanilla Massage Oil.